January is a blini month. I don’t know the real reason why, but I think because blinis are comfort food at its best. January is the darkest and coldest month of the year in Finland and some comfort is definitely needed.
Last Saturday I invited my good friends for some blinis. They were so good, that I want to share the recipe with you.
Easy blini recipe
- Mix 25 gr of yeast with 4 dl of lukewarm milk
- Add 1 tsp of salt and 2 egg yolks
- Add 2 dl of spelt flour and 2 dl of wheat flour and mix
- Let the dough rest in room temperature for at least an hour but preferably for several hours
- Whisk 2 egg whites into hard foam and add delicately to the dough
- Fry on a pancake pan with a pretty generous amount of butter
Serve with vendace roe, sour cream and chopped red onion and of course with some cool Riesling white wine.
By the way, this is perfect apres sauna food, too